Saturday, March 24, 2007

Dealing With Changes

We are in the midst of moving. We had decided that moving closer to my husband's work would be the best thing to do, and that I would transfer to another store. But, once we'd put down our deposit on a beautiful apartment in Houston, my husband lost his job, and we had to reverse our decision. However, after a month of stressful job-knocking, he has finally landed a better position in a sit-down, eat-in restaurant which I won't name...(But, I will say that I'm going to try to LIKE pancakes now). We are, indeed, going to move into the apartment we wanted by the end of this month. YIPPEE! (It's bigger and has more storage!)

I will not, however, be transferring to another store because of my going back and forth so much asking for it over the month. There had been an opportunity in a store nearer to the new place, but I lost it when we had originally thought that we were not leaving Pasadena. So, now I will drive back and forth from Houston to "Stinkydena" every day.

Right at the moment, my living room is a mountain of boxes, but it should only take a couple of car loads and a couple of pickup loads to get everything moved. We still don't have a lot of furniture as living in this little efficiency apartment ("efficiency" is just another name for "closet") doesn't give us much room to expand. I do, however, appreciate what we do have, because everything we have is the grace and goodness of our beloved creator.

Through all of this last thirty or so days, I've learned to be a little more patient with my life, as I have come to the conclusion (finally) that life ISN'T going to give me everything I want (which wasn't necessarily material), and that happiness, when sought in other people or intangible things, will certainly be ripped away and kept from me. The only REAL place that happiness lies is within my own heart, as weird as it is, and that I have the choice, every moment to either be happy or hold a grudge against life.

When we had believed that we would be staying in Pasadena, I was disappointed, but circumstances had me pinned to the ropes. I learned quickly, (and quietly, I might add) to accept it, and move on. I had larger issues at hand, anyhow. I was needed to support my husband while he frantically searched for work, and to soothe him when he became so depressed that he was ready to sell everything and go back home to Egypt...with or without me. It was a tough month, and we haven't come to the road just yet. We still have to get ourselves relocated, which we will only just begin this weekend, and then we will both be working odd hours trying to put it all back together again. We've been through the darkest hours, however, and the rest will be much easier.

No comments: